You can use a graphing calculator to better understand complex mathematical concepts through an informative yet thorough perspective at a much higher resolution than you can achieve using a pen and paper. People use them to gain a better understanding of complex math and graph-based sciences, so that they can optimize their outlook on those disciplines and to hopefully improve their capacity to interpret them in a practical way.
We should point out that graphing calculators, despite how complex they all look, tend to differ quite a bit from one another. Not just in terms of design, mind you, but in regards to their functionality, ease of use, and general durability. It is for this reason that you should perhaps take the time and learn about the many features high-end graphing calculators can boast and the lengths they can reach bot graphically and mathematically. Let us then take a look at the ten best graphing calculators the market has to offer in a quest to better grasp what they’re all about.
Best Graphing Calculators – Top List
10Texas Instruments Inc. TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
Available in a vibrant raspberry pink color, the Texas Instruments Inc. TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator is equipped with some of the latest features and functions. Including 2.5 speed options, a USB port, and approximately 30 software applications, it has the programming and calculating capabilities few in this price range can replicate. Featuring a well-sized display and a high resolution, this tool is ideal for utilizing during statistic classes. Stylish to look at, easy to use, durable, and convenient, this calculator is extremely popular among high school students for practical reasons, a popularity that continues to grow due to how easy it is to operate.
9Texas Instruments TI-80 Graphing Calculator
Specially designed for pre-calculus students, the Texas Instruments TI-80 Graphing Calculator features a large screen measuring 64 by 48 pixels and 16 by 8 in regards to its character display. Equipped with a 7K RAM and 980KHz CPU, it comes with a variety of other features including derivatives, roots, maximums and minimums, graphic analysis, and function values. Budget friendly, easy to use, and made from durable materials, this calculator is top-notch by most standards. It also comes with a slide cover for optimum protection, the type of feature you should always look for when buying such a small yet highly important electronic device.
8Casio fx-9750GII Graphing Calculator
Thanks to its brilliant features, The Casio fx-9750GII Graphing Calculator stands out as a very popular calculating tool and one of the top choices amongst its kind. Some of its features include integers, unit conversion, GOF functions, RREF/REF function, and regression types. Designed especially for utilization during computer science and statistic classes, this calculator can perform multiple functions at a time. Extremely convenient and durable due to boasting a protective cover, this particular device is budget friendly and rather pretty to look at.
7Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator
Uniquely designed with a high resolution, full color, and large backlit display screen, the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator is built to impress. Thanks to its enhanced screen readabilities, it makes it easier to view and read graphs and grid lines. Featuring 9 times the amount of memory available in other calculators, this tool works faster and comes with a number of applications. Ideal for utilizing during Biology and Chemistry classes, it can also be used for math. Designed with a sleek silver casing, it requires 4 AAA batteries to work.
6HP Prime Graphing Calculator
Considered one of the best instruments for students of all levels, the HP Prime Graphing Calculator stands out for all the right reasons. Weighing approximately 8 ounces, this tool measures 7.2 x 3.4 x 0.6 inches in size, which makes it very portable. Featuring an RPN data entry function, this model is similar to that of the 48 equation calculator. Thanks to its increase in font size, this tool is easier to read and much more convenient to work with. It also comes with menu scrolling just like on tabs and mobile phones, quick graphing, and inbuilt spreadsheet applications.
5Casio fx-9750GII Graphing Calculator
The Casio fx-9750GII Graphing Calculator is the ideal companion for college, high school, or middle school students. Easy to navigate and understand, this tool features a special icon menu and an IU design that helps students and educators understand various concepts better. With it, you can create quick pie charts and bar graphs on its top-quality LCD display with stunning color resolution. This calculating tool features a 62KB RAM and CPU that works at highs speeds, enabling users to load multiple applications at the same time. Convenient, reliable, and durable, it comes with a USB port for easy connectivity and easy file sharing options.
4Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator
Popularly known for its high-quality display screen, the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator comes equipped with a high-resolution screen with a full color backlit display, unlike any other in this price range. Slimmer, sleeker, and extremely sturdy, this calculator is an excellent choice for those of you who are looking for a good quality tool at an affordable price. Backed up by a rechargeable battery, it comes with a unique print function for apps, math, and images. Considered to be one of the best of its kind, this calculator is highly functional, reliable, and cheaper than most of its kind.
3Texas Instruments TI-83 Graphing Calculator
Featuring a high-quality super-contrast display, the Texas Instruments TI-83 Graphing Calculator comes equipped with a variety of graphing styles to select from. With the ability to be utilized alongside the TI-83, this advanced calculating tool is ideal for finance and statistics problems. Designed with a keyboard layout and a large LCD display, it features polar and parametric function and sequences for plot modes. It also lets you store, graph, and analyze up to 10 functions at the same time. Extremely easy to use and even easier to understand, this calculator is affordable and convenient for math students of all levels.
2Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator
Featuring a screen measuring 320 by 240 pixels, the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator comes in a stunning Bionic blue colored case and a crystal clear display. Unlike most of its kind, this calculator is equipped with a TI rechargeable battery of the highest standard. Easy to understand, it features a number of fast, sleek add-on functions along with the latest, most advanced features a graphing calculator can possess. With a 3.0 MB flash ROM, this calculator easily stores and archives data from any of the apps it runs. It also comes with 154KB RAM and a USB port to make it easier for you to connect it to a computer if you need.
1Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator
Pre-loaded with a variety of useful software applications, the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphics Calculator features the latest Cabri Jr. interactive geometry software and a multitude of other ingenious apps. With the ability to analyze, save, and store up to 10 graphing functions, this tool comes equipped with a horizontal and vertical split screen function. All of its functions and advanced features can be quickly accessed via its easy pull-down menu. Powered by 4 AAA batteries, it features an I/o port to help connect with other TI products. Considered as the best choice for checking answers, this graphing calculator is by far the most technologically advanced yet budget-friendly the market has to offer right now.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Graphing Calculator
If you have come to the conclusion that you absolutely need a graphing calculator, chances are that you already know the basics of how they’re supposed to work. Even so, there is a good possibility that you do not fully understand what modern graphing calculators are capable of, especially not the high-end, CPU-based models that run highly advanced applications. So to better grasp what a graphing calculator can do, we should perhaps take the time to first understand what a graphing calculator is all about.
What Is A Graphing Calculator?
A Graphing calculator is an advanced version of a standard calculator with additional functions and features to help you with complex calculations. Utilized by professionals, math students, engineers, science students, and many pre and post-graduate college students, this kind of calculators perform basic functions alongside a host of other capabilities. These include calculating formulas, graphs, pie charts, data equations, and more. Designed for students to understand advanced, complex math concepts, they are also ideal for checking work that normally requires calculating on paper manually.
Types Of Graphing Calculators
With a wide range of various graphing calculators available for purchase, you can expect most of them to boast similar functions and features. Even so, you can definitely break down graphing calculators in three major categories:
- Colored Screen Calculators – Although most graphing calculators have a black and white screen, there are a number of models that come with a full colored screen that makes it easier to navigate and understand. The menus, graphs, and pie charts along with other important information are also easier to read and view.
- Alkaline Battery Calculators – Alkaline powered graphing calculators are much more convenient than others because, with these devices, you no longer have to worry about a charger. These calculators can be powered by regular batteries that are lying spare around the house. However, this type of calculator is usually more expensive than the others for obvious reasons.
- Rechargeable Battery Calculators – Graphing calculators powered by rechargeable batteries are somewhat convenient, as they simply require a charger to power up the batteries when they run out of juice. Although you save money on purchasing additional batteries, you must ensure that you recharge or have access to a power outlet every time you are running low on power.
Advantages of Graphing Calculators
- Quick Math Solution – For those who are able to master a particular function, they make it so much easier to create and compute a graph table with values. This also helps students understand difficult math problems easily with the help of connecting these problems with real-life situations.
- Better Understanding of Complex Concepts – For those who want to work in a top MNC or world-renowned company, gaining high-end skills and mastering the creation and analysis of difficult problems is a must. A Graphing calculator will help lay down the base for solving such complex problems with relative ease and by providing the mathematical structure many students require.
- Approved by Professionals – Designed and crafted with the help and support of educators all across the globe, these calculators are necessary for achieving the different standards of education and meeting the requirements of the curriculum in many universities worldwide.
Uses of A Graphing Calculator
There are multiple ways in which a graphing calculator can be utilized. From understanding basic mathematical concepts to advanced calculus and graphical analysis, a graphing calculator can seriously impact the pace of your development as a student and help you organize your thoughts in a more concise fashion. Most of the time, however, graphing calculators can be used in a purely academic way.
For General Use – To reduce the complexity of math and science problems and to help with the better understanding of certain concepts.
- For Algebra – To help multiple or factor various expressions in algebra, a graphing calculator would provide you with various solutions to that problem.
- For Trigonometry – To help with difficult trigonometric equations.
For Physics – To help with the easy analysis of complex experiments. It can also be used to calculate the value of parabola in various investigations.
- For Placement Tests – For new users, it is essential to get a single mode graphing calculator as it provides users with precise answers instead of estimates that include decimals.
Features To Consider When Buying A Graphing Calculator
For those who are a part of an advanced math or science class, a graphing calculator is a tool that can be quite invaluable and even a “must-have” for advanced users. However, given the many platforms such a device can run and judging by the spectrum of all the necessary functions you require, you are bound to find a graphing calculator that isn’t just practical but also relatively easy to use. Like with all electronic devices, however, here is what you need to consider:
- The Price – It is always important to consider your personal budget when buying an electronic device, without forgetting that the features you require usually come at a cost. Graphing calculators are not cheap, mind you, which is why you must ensure to choose one that not only gives you access to all the necessary functions and features you need but one that is somewhat affordable as well. Unfortunately, the good ones from TI and Casio are far from being cheap, but a cost they justify through all the advanced functions and applications they incorporate.
- The Screen – Math and Science students tend to spend a lot of time working with graphing calculators. It is therefore essential to purchase one that is designed with a large, high resolution not only for a better viewing experience but to prevent damaging their eyes. However, choosing a colored screen calculator is much more expensive, as you would expect all things considered.
- Battery Type – For those of you who are always on the go, selecting a graphing calculator that is powered by alkaline batteries is a better choice overall. However, if you do not want to go through the trouble of purchasing batteries every time the old ones die, a graphing calculator with rechargeable batteries would work perfectly for you and save you the hassle of having to dispose of the discharged batteries in the process.
- Warranty – Graphing calculators are not cheap devices to buy by any means, which is why you should make sure that such a purchase is protected by a warranty to match. While these warranties do not cover damages caused due to dropping the device or other user-inflicted issues, they do help you avoid problems caused by manufacturing defects or software problems that might influence the speed and functionality of the device.