Do you want to look like a caveman, or do you want to use some of the best hair clippers available and clean up that shag? We know it is in style now to have a manly beard and long hair, but there's nothing wrong with cleaning it up just a bit.
Are you a woman who's tired of the upkeep long hair requires to keep that fantastic look? If so, you're in the right place. You can use the same best hair clippers as any man and get a shorter, lower maintenance hairstyle.
What Are Hair Clippers?
Barbershops use some of the best hair clippers, but the good news is now you can have your own. Hair clippers are an electric device that cut the hair short, even down to the skin.
Nikola Bizumic invented hair clippers in the 19th century. Those hair clippers were, of course, a much simpler design and like all things with time, came more innovation.
Later, Leo Wahl had his invention of the electric clipper patented in 1921.
Back in the day, people only used hair clippers on men and animals, but times have changed. Many women get their hair cut with some of the best hair clippers in the business. Hair clippers come with many attachments and other accessories you will need to keep your device working great, longer.
If you have long, shaggy hair and are ready for a cut, then using clippers is the next step for you.
How to Work a Hair Clipper
If you are like me and have a lot of children, then learning how to cut their hair will save you tons of money. Consequently, I watch many YouTube videos to help me better understand how to fade hair.
The first thing I learned is that you must buy all the supplies you will need to cut the hair. Supplies include things like scissors, hair clipper, and comb. And if you want to keep your client from complaining, then you'll need a cape to keep the hair off the clothes.
Next, plan what you want to do with the hair. Prepare by making sure the hair is clean, and it is your choice to either cut the hair wet or dry. Many videos will show you different ways to start — either at the top or the bottom of the head.
Believe me when I say that it will take time to learn how to cut hair entirely. There are a few other ways you can cut hair, either with scissors or using your fingers with the clippers. Find the way that works the best for you. It may take time but do not give up. I swear you will get it.
Below is a YouTube video that will help break down the steps of fading hair.
The best hair clippers: sizes
Figuring out clipper sizes can get a little confusing, so we are going to help break it down for you. When you go to the barber, they always ask you how short you want it or if you know your clipper size. There are eight basic clipper numbers, and below we have listed them for you.
How short you want your or your clients’ haircut will determine which number clipper you will use. Zero, of course, is the shortest. The clippers will take the hair down to the bare skin. A size eight guard will cut the hair to about 1 inch of length.
We hope this YouTube video helps break it down just a little more.
Why you need to oil your clippers
Keeping your clippers clean and oiling them regularly will ensure you don't damage your clippers. The best hair clippers are like any other tools, and you must take care of them. It is always best to use the oil the company has provided for you. But, if you run out, there is another option. Vegetable and olive oil is a great substitution if you can't run to the store to buy more clipper oil, and you’re already half-way through a haircut.
Every hair clipper should come with instructions on how to apply oil to your machine, but if it does not, most of the best hair clippers say to apply oil while the clipper is running, but do not go overboard. It only requires a few drops.
There is also a mini brush to clean the hair off your clippers. This is vitally important. You must clean the machine after every hair cut.
Lever on the clipper
Some of the best hair clippers have a bar on the side for different cut sizing. It is almost like a guard. Many hair clippers do not have a lever on the side and work just as great. It all comes down to how much of a perfectionist you are, or if you just do simple cuts.
The lever on a clipper is simple. When the lever is up towards the top of your hand, that is a close cut. If you push the lever down, it gives you a longer cut. The video below shows you how to move the lever up and down and why you should use it.
Top 10 Best Hair Clippers
With so many great options out there, we surely can't list them all. However, we have provided you with 10 of the best hair clippers available. The best hair clippers are not in any particular order.
What I have found with all the hair clippers I have bought over the years is that a higher price does not mean it is a better product. Some of the less expensive clippers work just as well or better than the most costly, but if you pay a little more, you can get more extras.
1. Braun 9-in-1 All-In-One
- 13 length settings with only 4 combs for a range of different beard & hair styles
- 9-in-1 kit includes face & beard trimmer, hair trimmer, body groomer, ear & nose trimmer, clean shave razor
- Autosensing motor ensuring constant cutting speed for an efficient trim through dense and long beards
Braun makes its hair clippers with 13 lengths, and the company provides you with a lifetime of sharpened blades. This product is designed in Germany and claims to be durable and to last. These hair clippers are waterproof, and the package comes with clippers for body, face, and hair.
Many customers love the battery life on these hair clippers as well as the extra guards. However a few unhappy customers complained that they only received two out of the four replaceable razors.
2. Remington HC5850
- Powercut Blade System: No more snagging and pulling. Blade Type: Self-sharpening advanced steel-coated
- Super Magnet Motor 4X faster performance
- Precision Ground Blades: Cut through even the thickest hair with ease
The Remington hair clippers come with 15 pieces and claims to be everything you will need. Its super motor is said to be faster than your average hair clipper. The company also says the product is easy to clean and gives precise cuts. Remington provides a lifetime warranty with every purchase.
Customer reviews show that buyers are thrilled with this product, and that these clippers are very quiet. Many were also are very pleased with how smooth the cut is and say it doesn't pull the hair.
3. Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit
- Color Coded Guide Combs – Finding and remembering everyone’s favorite hair length is easier than ever. Corresponding...
- Smooth, Easy Haircuts – With a variety of cutting lengths, adjusting the trim length is pain free. Quickly reference...
- 20 Piece Grooming Kit – Featuring 9 guide combs from 1/16” to 1” for various cutting lengths, left & right ear...
For all of you who need a little extra help on knowing which guards to use to cut the hair, this product breaks it down for you. Wahl Color Pro comes with the numbers and colors of your guards on the hair clipper. The company makes the blades from high-carbon steel and claims the clippers are self-sharpening. This is a 26-piece kit to provide all different kinds of cuts.
This product is well-known and has created many happy customers. Most buyers say these are the best hair clippers out there and for such a great price. Other customers were upset saying the product didn’t cut their hair well.
- ★【Self Hair Cutting System】 New user friendly, we provide 3-6-9-12-15-18 mm guide combs. Now you can easily adjust...
- ★【Durable & Health】A Green lithium ion battery for a long run time per charge. Titanium ceramic movable blade for...
- ★【Low Vibration & Quiet】Hair Trimmer with Precision motor, low vibration and ultra quiet design, free it from work...
CEEWES makes these cordless hair clippers that include a one-year warranty. The motor is quiet and runs for a long time without needing a charge. The company claims that the shape of the blade is safe and will prevent you from injury while using the product. So, this product is excellent for cutting hair on children or adults.
A few customers have complained that the clippers pull out hair. However, most buyers are in love with these clippers. They're impressed with how quiet the product is and how well it cuts.
5. Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit
- 9 Length Combs Cuts 1/16 - 5/8 inches(15 to 15 millimeter) to achieve the exact look you desire
- Lithium, Rechargeable Battery 40 minutes of cordless runtime. The Shortcut Pro Hair Clipper can also be used corded for...
- 13 Piece Kit Includes: Hand held clipper, 9 Length adjusting combs, cleaning brush, storage/travel pouch, oil (charging...
This Remington HC4250 is a different type of hair clipper. The product fits in the palm of your hand and is cordless. It comes with nine guards and a rechargeable battery. The battery should last up to 90 minutes. The company claims the product is washable, and it features stainless steel blades.
Many customers reviews show that buyers love how close to the scalp these clippers cut. They also like how easy they are to use. Of the negative reviews, many customers claim the battery does not last long enough and doesn't charge properly.
6. Sminiker Professional Cordless Haircut Kit Clippers
- 【Hair Clipper】Heavy-duty gear for proper powerful cut, with stable and steady control. The R shaped rounded edge...
- 【Clippers】Titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade for efficient and long term cutting. The titanium...
- 【Self Hair Cutting System】New user friendly, we provide3-6-9-12-15-18mm guide combs. Now you can easily adjust the...
The Sminiker hair clippers boast heavy-duty construction. The product has a titanium blade, and you can use it while cordless or plug it in. The company sends you six guards to choose from, and the product has five length sizes. Smininker claims these clippers are quiet enough you won’t wake a baby.
Some customers have said they're extremely happy about the great battery life. However, a handful weren't happy with the sharpness of the blade or quality of the hair clippers themselves.
7. Liberex Professional Cordless
- Precision ground blades - the self-sharpening Titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade for efficient...
- Multiple cutting lengths - It comes with 5 Precise length control (0.03''-0.08'') and 4 attachments combs (0.1", 0.24",...
- Two ways to charge - Comes With a compact charging stand to sit your Clippers, directly cord plug-in charging is also...
Now, this hair clipper has a sleek design and is cordless. The Liberex company claims the blades are self-sharpening and titanium. These clippers also come with a 60-day money back guarantee if you're not happy with them for any reason. Included in the box are four guards, oil, cleaning brush, and a charging station. Liberex says the product is easy to clean and offers two different charging options.
Many buyers say they think this is a great product that cuts well and quietly. Also, the look of it has many customers very excited. However, a few reviewers feel the quality of the product wasn't as high as they expected.
8. WONER Hair Trimmers
- ✄【16-PIECE KIT】The cordless electric hair clipper comes with 9 guards, scissors, comb, charger adapter, oil,...
- ✄【SHARP CERAMIC BLADE】The professional blade stays sharp and cuts all hair types. Easy to clean and maintain.
- ✄【35 CUTTING LENGTHS】5 precise length control (1/32"-1/12") and 9 guide combs (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4",...
The Wonder hair clippers are cordless and have a ceramic blade. The company provides a 16-piece set with your purchase, and a nice little bag to store everything neatly. This product comes with a 12-month replacement plan. The plugin charging device is universal, which is fantastic for those who travel internationally.
Buyers have been delighted with how long the battery lasts and how well this product cuts hair. On the downside, the few customers that were not pleased with this product say it does not cut well and lacks power.
9. Philips Norelco Multigroom Series 3000
- 13 attachments for all of your grooming needs: Full size steel trimmer, a steel precision trimmer, a nose and ear hair...
- Maximum precision with DualCut technology, which includes 2x more self-sharpening blades. The steel blades sharpen...
- Best selling trimmer from the #1 trimmer brand*
Phillips has been around for a very long time, and this product comes as a 13-piece set. The company claims the blades sharpen themselves as you cut your hair. It also says cleaning is a breeze by simply detaching the head and rinsing it under water. This cordless hair clipper uses a lithium battery and should run for up to 60 minutes on a charge. Also, the company says you don't need to oil this product.
In the many reviews for this product we found, most of the customers are truly happy with this brand of clippers. They seemed satisfied with how well it cuts hair and the life span on the battery. However, a few customers had trouble with the product shortly after purchase. Some said that it didn't cut hair as well as they expected.
10. BuySShow Quiet Professional Hair Clippers
- 【CERAMIC TITANIUM BLADE】:Titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade for efficient and long term...
- 【ULTRA QUIET DESIGN】:Cordless hair clippers have Precision motor, low vibration and ultra quiet design, free it from...
- 【CHARGING DOCK】:Insert the charger into the tail of clipper or independent battery base, connect the power to star...
BuySShow Hair Clippers are cordless and very quiet. The company sends you a cape, scissors, thinning combs, charging station, storage bag, five guards, cleaning brush, and a manual. BuySShow claims the battery will last for four hours before needing to be charged. The BuySShow claims the titanium blade will not rust.
Customer reviews show that most are delighted with how great these clippers cut hair and how easy they are to clean. On the downside, a few distraught customers reported that they received a product with missing parts.
The Best Hair Clippers for You
With most things in life, you will never know if they are the best hair clippers for you unless you try them.
We've provided you with some great options, and now it all comes down to your personal needs. If just need a simple buzz, then you may be best off with inexpensive hair clippers that don't come with a lot of extras.
However, some of you may need different size guards and bonus accessories like a cape, scissors, or hair clips. If so, then paying a little extra to get those great add-ons would be the best route.
At the end of the day, we're just trying to save a little extra cash while still looking good.
Which brand of hair clippers do you own, and how often do you use them? Please let us know in the comment section below.
Last update on 2021-04-23 at 19:35 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API