Straight, silky hair is on trend today. Women invest time and money in salon visits in the hope that their silky style with last more than a day or two. A high-quality hair straightener (also called a flat iron), along with a few YouTube beauty tutorials, can give you greater control of your style…as well as save you money and time otherwise spent at the salon. This article will help you discover the best hair straightener for you.
Table of comparison
Best Hair Straightener FAQ
1. How Does a Hair Straightener Work?
It’s science! Hair is made of keratin. When heated, keratin atoms break apart, allowing your hair’s natural structure to become very flexible. Many women have noticed that a rainy day often is a “bad hair day.” This is because moisture does the opposite of heat: it bonds the keratin back together, undoing your style. A good hair straightener will provide even heat to your hair and create a smooth look without heat damage.
2. How Do I Know Which Hair Straightener Is Right for Me?
People with different hair types require different features in hair straighteners. Fine, thin hair needs lower heat settings (approximately under 250 degrees Fahrenheit). Women with curly, thicker, or textured hair need higher heat (approximately 400 degrees or more) to see results.
In addition to hair type, the purpose you’d like to use your hair straightener for is another important consideration. A high-quality hair straightener is a multi-purpose tool. It can work as a curling iron or you can use it to add shape and control to a unique hairstyle.
People of all hair types and ethnicities use these versatile tools. There are a few things to keep in mind when selecting your own flat iron, however. If you have long hair, aim for a straightener with a wider, rather than slender, plate. If you plan to use your flat iron as a curling iron, select a more narrow plate with beveled or rounded edges, which will make twisting your hair into curls easier.
3. How Can I Prevent Damage to My Hair From the Straightening Process?
Many flat irons can reach temperatures above 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Most of us wouldn’t dream of washing our hair in water at that temperature, yet we routinely apply high heat to our hair in the straightening process.
No matter which type of flat iron your purchase or what styles you create with it, there are two important points to remember:
First, protect your hair. Beauty supply stores, drug stores, and salons all offer product lines to protect your hair type from heat treatment. Purchase these products and use them regularly! Buying a flat iron only to use it on damaged hair is a waste of money.
The next thing to remember is that you don’t want to overdo the straightening. While it might be tempting to pass the iron over your hair multiple times, a good flat iron will only need one or two passes. Extra passes will only further damage your hair....and be a sign of a poor-quality hair straightener.
4. What’s the Difference between Ceramic, Titanium, and Tourmaline plates? (And Why Should I Care?)
A good hair straightener will distribute heat evenly through your hair. Over time, though, some plates’ heat will become less even depending on the material it's made from.
Uncoated glass and metal plates are not recommended due to uneven heat distribution. Some flat irons include a Teflon or non-stick coating on their plates; these coatings can make the air toxic to some pets if they're overheated.
For our review, we selected straighteners with plates made of the following material: ceramic, titanium, or tourmaline.
Ceramic is cheaper than titanium and tourmaline, but more likely to heat unevenly over time. It doesn’t heat up as high as other materials, so it’s a good choice for those with fine or thin hair.
Titanium heats fast. Flat irons with titanium plates are considered higher quality than other flat irons. They last longer and cost more than ceramic alone.
Tourmaline is a gemstone that uses the atomic structure of keratin to straighten hair. Tourmaline produces negative ions which, when combined with heat, are believed to cut down on frizz.
Most of the products we reviewed included a combination of these three materials to help you pick the best hair straightener.
How We Reviewed
Our team reviewed hair straighteners based on a comparison between ten popular devices' unique features, prices, and warranties. We created pro and con lists to clarify the differences between each hair straightener and come to our recommendations about the best hair straightener.
Some of the items reviewed featured technology created by the company. Features such as "far infrared," "ultrazone," and "ion multiplier" are difficult to evaluate when it comes to something as basic as the need to straighten hair. These features did not play strongly into our review because we were unable to fairly compare them. In some cases, a focus on technology rather than styling quality and ease-of-use resulted in a lower rating.
best hair straightener
- STRAIGHTENS, FLIPS & CURLS: The HSI Professional Glider creates dramatic results on even the frizziest coarsest hair; to...
- MICRO SENSORS PREVENT FUTURE HAIR DAMAGE: High quality ceramic plates use 8 HeatBalance micro-sensors to regulate the...
- CERAMIC & CRYSTALS TO CREATE SILKY RESULTS: The Glider's plates are designed with ceramic and tourmaline crystal ion...
This straightener is praised by users with mixed race and Black hair. The flat iron comes with a carrying case, argan oil, and protective gloves. It ranges in temperature from 140-540 degrees Fahrenheit.
CHI flat irons developed a cult following in the past. Unfortunately, recent CHI products have disappointed some of those followers. This hair straightener is bare-bones.
- ghd’s 1st smart professional hair straightener predicts your hair’s needs for ultimate results and stronger, visibly...
- Unique ultra-zoneTM with predictive technology monitors heat over 250 times per second, ensuring the perfect temperature...
- Healthier styling: 365ºF optimal styling temperature minimizes hair damage, for 70% stronger hair* and 2X more color...
This straightener features "ultrazone predictive technology," which the company claims will keep the heat more evenly distributed throughout the straightening session.
- T3 Digital SinglePass: Maintains consistent heat to straighten in a single glide
- 5 adjustable heat settings (260-410°F) provide the optimum heat level for any hair type. Intuitive audio-visual...
- T3 Tourmaline + Ceramic: Proprietary ionic technology ensures a long-lasting smooth and shiny finish
This product features an "audio-visual interface" to manage heat settings. It includes alligator clips and claims only one pass is necessary to straighten hair.
This inexpensive option includes many features of more up-scale hair straighteners.
- 1” Ceramic + Titanium - The specially designed plates prevent heat damage while maintaining a consistent temperature
- Unique Steam Vents - Unique steam vents on this flat iron safely remove water from damp hair, allowing you to dry and...
- Wet/Dry Styling Indicator - The indicator light shows when heat is best for straightening wet hair (green light) or dry...
This hair straightener stood out with its ability to straighten hair right out of the shower. While most flat irons require dry hair, the ability to skip the drying process can save a lot of time in one's morning routine.
- 【 ONLY ONE STEP 】FURIDEN professional hair straightening with directional switch new design, only one step to rotate...
- 【 LESS TIME 】FURIDEN best flat iron with MCH, a new heating standard for hair appliance. This flat iron curler heats...
- 【NO SNAGGING & NO TUGGING】FURIDEN 360°swivel long cord flat iron for women with floating plates ，balanced heat...
FURIDEN's hair straightener includes special features such as a swivel cord and "floating" plates to make the hair straightening experience as smooth as possible.
- Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron: With 30 heat settings, extra long floating plates and advanced ceramic technology that...
- Less Frizz, More Shine: Use this tourmaline ceramic flat iron to straighten hair or create beachy waves. Featuring 15...
- Wavy or Sleek: Whether you want to add volume and flip or create pin straight styles, Conair's full line of ceramic,...
This product includes many valuable features for a low price. One of the more unique features is an LCD screen that displays the straightener's temperature. A packet of argan oil is included.
- Curl & straighten hair with the dual use BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Prima 3000 featuring IonMultiplier Technology &...
- This flat iron heats up instantly & holds a consistent temperature while millions of ions deliver shiny hair.
- Perfect for all hair types, use the Prima to straighten and smooth OR to create loose beachy waves.
Like CHI, BayByliss flat irons have garnered many fans over the years. The Nano Titanium Prima3000 features "ion multiplier technology" to reduce frizz.
No products found.
No products found.
More than other flat irons we reviewed, this AsaVea Flat Iron emphasizes the frizz-reducing ionic aspect of its tourmaline-coated plates.
Two flat irons stood out in our review to earn the best hair straightener title. The Remington S7310 Wet 2 Straight Hair Straightener impressed us by not only meeting many of the pros hit by other products in our review but including the bonus of being able to straighten wet hair. Blow-drying and straightening hair can take such a significant time out of the morning that just the possibility of skipping one step feels like a breakthrough. The $ price tag makes this product impossible to pass up.
The second product that we felt belonged under the best hair straightener category was the HSI Professional Glider Hair Straightener. While people of all ethnicities and hair types can express their creativity through fresh hairstyles, this product-- above and beyond-- was praised by Black, mixed race, and other reviewers with thick, curly hair. If you have textured hair and have been disappointed with hair straighteners in the past, this $$ flat iron might be the best hair straightener you should buy.