Given the sheer variety of headphones available nowadays, you might find it rather difficult to find some that are both affordable and reliable. Not to say that expensive headsets are guaranteed to be better, although the cheaper versions are usually cheap for a reason. Now, the first thing you need to do is to figure out which type of headphones best suit your needs, because like we said, they tend to differ in regards to not only style but design as well.
With that out of the way, you should also consider your budget, because quality headsets don’t really come cheap. In all fairness, you can probably get a pretty decent pair of headphones with about $50 or less, although you really have to take the time and learn about what makes a good headset beforehand. To help you in that regard, we put together a list of the ten best headphones under 50 dollars for you to look at, along with everything you need to know when buying some.
Best Headphones Under 50 Dollars – Top List
10August EP650 Bluetooth Headphones
The August EP650 headset is one of the more advanced available right now, one that offers a completely wireless experience with Bluetooth, NFC, and, aptX technologies. It connects to any device wirelessly through Bluetooth v4.1 and has a crisp and clean audio quality. With its built-in microphone, you can take or make calls with just a touch and forget about holding your device to your ear constantly. We also find buttons on the side of the headphones for increasing or decreasing the volume, skipping music tracks, pausing and playing and answering calls. Furthermore, this headset features a rechargeable Li-Ion battery that offers 10 hours of use on a single charge.
9Edifier H840 Audiophile Over-the-ear Headphones
Easily some of the most stylishly designed headphones, the Edifier H840 offers so much more than just looks. With their 40mm drivers, you get professional grade audio through their highly comfortable ear pads. Furthermore, these headphones are designed to fit any head perfectly, mostly due to the fact that their earmuffs are made from soft leather that offers comfort and superb noise cancellation. We should also point out that the headband they incorporate is made from reinforced steel and covered in soft leather while their gold plated 3.5mm audio jack is connected to a 6-foot cable.
8Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones
Bringing one of the most unique designs, the Superlux HD668B headphone has a semi-open headband that offers enhanced comfort for long-lasting reliability. The sound produced is natural, clean, and crisp, which is great considering that these headphones are perfect for all types of music and ensure your listening experience is always the best. The 3.5mm jack is attached to the ear cup shell and offers maximum portability. Not only that but these headphones are quite lightweight and can be stored in any backpack or bag with relative ease.
7Skullcandy Crusher with Built-in Amplifier
Skullcandy has grown into one of the most popular headphone brands and the Skullcandy Crusher is a clear example why. It looks exceptionally stylish and produces an audio quality that matches its looks. It offers smooth sound and loud and powerful bass. It also comes with a mic and music control remote on the cable. It is ergonomically designed to fit comfortably on any head and produce excellent sound. The headphone can be folded and stored anywhere easily and quickly with the included carry bag.
6LyxPro HAS-10 Closed Back Over-Ear Headphones
LyxPro’s HAS-10 is one of the most powerful headsets available, one that can be used casually or professionally. It is a closed back pro grade headset used for mixing and monitoring. These headphones boast a NdFeB magnet system that offers a superb response with every use. Furthermore, the arms are made of high-quality stainless steel and the ear cups are rotatable to 180 degrees. At the same time, the headband and ear pads are made from soft and comfortable leather while the ear shells are made from sturdy aluminum.
5Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Monitor Headphones
Known as some of the best headphone brands on the market, the Audio-Technica stands out with their ATH-M20x as a sample of their remarkable quality. This particular headset is built to last with high-quality and durable materials. Used in professional studios for mixing, these headphones stand out as some of the best. Their 40mm drivers come with rare earth magnets along with copper-clad wire voice coils that are made from reliable aluminum. With a circumaural design, the ear pads fit perfectly around the ear and remove any kind of outside noise.
4AUSDOM Over-Ear Lightweight Headphones
The first thing we notice about this headset is the headband which is highly adjustable to fit any head and the soft cushioned ear pads offer HD quality audio. The headphones are ergonomically designed to ensure maximum comfort, even for those who wear glasses. Offering both style and performance, these headphones come with a microphone so you can receive or make crystal clear calls and listen to music with just one product. More so, this headset is very lightweight and easy to carry anywhere, which makes it the perfect gift for loved ones.
3JVC HARX300 Full-Size Headphones
JVC is one of the biggest names when it comes to audio products and their HARX300 Full-Size Headphones stand out for all the right reasons. These headphones have a soft, large, and cushioned headband that gives you absolute comfort for a longer listening experience. At the same time, their large 40mm driver produces a pitch-perfect sound. With a unique twist action, the headset adjusts to your head while the gold-plated plug lets you enjoy pristine sound with every use. The ear cups swivel for added comfort and have leatherette cushions that keep your ears protected at all times.
2Avantree Wireless/Wired Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones
Sporting a stylish look, the Avantree Audition is a wireless headset that offers incredible sound quality as well as an ingenious design. It uses an aptX Hi-Fi technology which produces HD audio of the highest standard. On a single charge, you can enjoy up to 40 hours of entertainment or switch to a wired mode with the attachable 3.5mm cable. The headphones are also quite comfortable and extremely lightweight, mostly because the headband is adjustable and cushioned for added comfort. We should also point out that this headset connects to devices through NFC, Bluetooth, and aptX depending on your needs.
1Mpow 059 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones
The Mpow 059 Bluetooth headset is a quite ingenious one, a headset that performs as good as it looks. It helps to isolate any outside noise which leaves you with your music and nothing else. With the closed back design, you get immersive audio quality and the 40mm drivers produce Hi-Fi sound on the go. The ear pads are made from memory protein which adds to the overall high standard of comfort. The headband and slider are made from stainless steel and padded for comfort and customization. Interestingly enough, this headset works wirelessly for up to 20 hours whereas in its wired mode you can enjoy endless hours of music without any issues to speak of. Last but not least, the headset also features a built-in microphone for answering calls.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For When Buying Headphones
Even though most headphones share a similar design, the features that make them stand apart from one another determine not only their price but general purpose as well. We say this because headphones tend to differ in terms of intended purpose, with some people preferring them for mixing/music-making purposes whereas others simply want to listen to their favorite tracks without employing any sort of speakers. It is for this reason that you should educate yourself on what makes a good headset and what features to look for when searching for a particular type of headphones.
Types of Headphones
In-Ear Headphones – The in-ear type is definitely the most popular today and offers some pretty big advantages. Firstly, they are a lot cheaper than the others. They are also easier to carry and fit just about anywhere. Lastly, they offer natural noise cancellation as they fit inside the ear and not on or around it. The sound quality differs according to brand and build quality, but cannot be compared to the professional models.
On-Ear Headphones – As one can imagine, the on-ear headphone fits on the ear. They come with headbands and padded earmuffs for a more comfortable listening experience. They offer better sound quality as compared to the in-ear variety but are significantly more expensive. They too offer easy portability and are usually foldable, which recommends them for a wide range of uses and for all sort of users.
Over-Ear Headphones – The only difference between the on-ear and over-ear headphones seems to be in their visual appearance, but there is a lot more within. Apart from their obvious larger size, the over-ear headphones offer a more professional performance as compared to their closest cousins. These headphones are usually used in studios and for mixing music, a reduced spectrum that explains why so many professionals use them.
What To Assess When Choosing Headphones
The primary objective of most headphones is to produce high-quality sound without causing any inconveniences to the wearer and that is exactly what one must consider when purchasing the right headset. While different headphones offer a certain degree of variation when it comes to sound quality, you should always take the time to judge them more in-depth so as to best assess what each one can do for you in terms of reliability and fidelity.
- Bass – Proportional bass is a quality that is only found in the best and most professionally designed headphones.
- Mids – Mids of vocals should be clear and distinct amid the highs, lows, and bass sounds for greater audio fidelity.
- Highs – A headphone that can correctly replicate the high notes of a track is definitely one you can invest in.
- Soundstage – This quality is something that some users prefer while others do not. It basically means that a headphone with a wide soundstage makes you feel like you’re in a large concert hall while for others, a more narrow soundstage is a lot more confining.
- Adjustable – One of the key features of a quality headset is its adjustability and flexibility. Not everyone has the same sized head and therefore some amount of customization is necessary to suit every user.
- Materials – Here is the easiest way to distinguish between a premium headset and a more affordable one. While the cheaper headset will be made from hard plastics, the premium brands resort to high-quality aircraft grade aluminum, leather cushioning, sturdy braided cables, and memory foam.
- Design – What we usually see with extremely stylish headphones is that they produce only average quality sound. Premium brands usually put more emphasis on the quality of the audio rather than the looks of their headphones.
Wired Or Wireless?
This is where most buyers get stuck when choosing a headset. Wired and wireless headphones can be found in every brand and range in price as well. Given the major strides made in the industry over the years, the differences between modern wired/wireless headsets are pretty small, almost negligible. Even so, there are clear differences between the two, differences that recommend some for a certain range of uses.
Pros For Wired Headphones
- Wired headsets are a lot more affordable as no additional technology is required in their design to amp up the price.
- For the most part, wired headphones offer a better sound quality as connectivity faults are never an issue.
- Headphones with wires don’t require batteries or charging to be used.
- Wired headphones can be used on practically any device that has an audio input jack.
Cons For Wired Headphones
- The cables on wired headphones usually tend to break with constant bending.
- Being wired, your movement is always restricted while jogging, walking, or any other activity that requires a fair share of mobility.
- There are very few extra features on wired headphones to choose from apart from the basic functions.
Pros For Wireless Headphones
- Wireless headphones offer maximum freedom of movement while running, jogging, and performing any activity that requires a lot of moving.
- Connectivity is primarily achieved through Bluetooth which is found in almost every modern device.
- Volume buttons and other features are found on the headset itself rather than on the cable.
- There are no breakable cables or other parts that could malfunction over time with prolonged usage.
Cons For Wireless Headphones
- Wireless headphones are significantly more expensive as they require several built-in technologies that have to be designed exquisitely in order to not weigh down the headset.
- These headphones have batteries that need constant recharging, which can be quite a hassle in the long run.