Remember those Activia ads with Jamie Lee Curtis? Those commercials made probiotics mainstream, but not all probiotics are created equal. If you want to give them a try, you need to know the best probiotic for women.
For women? Yes, as in specifically tailored to our bodies and health problems. Unlike "pink products" that simply color an item "girly" colors and market them for more money, women's probiotics are based on our needs. We'll get int that later.
Of course, there are tons of probiotics available, and they are associated with relieving different health issues. So you have to find what works best for you and your current health. Before you choose a probiotic, consider the different options to find the best probiotic for women like you.
The Key to Health
We all want to be as healthy as possible. However, most of us need a little help to get there. Whether you have digestive issues or other health concerns, you might benefit from using the best probiotic for women.
If you want to be healthy, shouldn't you avoid fad supplements? Maybe, but the right supplement can be life-changing. Of course, you should still try to eat a balanced diet, get enough exercise, and sleep enough.
But if those things don't seem to get you where you want to be, the best probiotic for women could be just what you need. Still, you might have some questions about probiotics and what they do.
What are probiotics?
Probiotics are a type of nutritional supplement, and their name translates as "to give life." First, people believed the purpose of probiotics was only to ease symptoms of digestive disorders, like diarrhea or constipation.
More recently, people have started to believe probiotics can treat other conditions, from depression to diabetes.
Small microbes, like bacteria and fungi, live in our digestive tracts. Whether you like it or not, some can be beneficial to our health. Probiotics can help your body absorb nutrients from foods, which can be helpful on a healthy diet.
Probiotics naturally occur in fermented foods, and live-culture things like yogurt. However, the craze surrounding probiotics has led to it being added to protein bars and other items. And of course, some of the best probiotics for women come as supplements.
What do they do?
Some people believe probiotics can cure depression, allergies, migraines, and even boost immunity. Unfortunately, there's not a ton of research to back up those claims.
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of probiotic strains out there, and only some are actually beneficial at treating health conditions.
Various strains are better at managing different things. Some bacteria are better at treating constipation, while others are better suited for tackling yeast infections.
So, the best probiotic for women depends on the individual woman. You have to know what problems you have and what you want to treat.
Who should take probiotics?
It's up to you whether you want to take probiotics or not. If you love a daily cup of yogurt, you may not need the supplement. However, the best probiotic for women might have certain strains you won't find elsewhere.
First, probiotics can be helpful for women who are already healthy. In this case, a probiotic supplement will help keep your gut in good condition.
Next, probiotics can also help treat or ease the symptoms of various digestive issues. Whether you're constipated or have diarrhea, you can benefit from the best probiotic for women.
Third, women with recurring yeast infections should consider a probiotic with some good bacteria. Since a yeast infection (also known as candidiasis) is the result of too much bad bacteria, you need to balance out your system with the good stuff.
Why do men and women need different probiotics?
The best probiotics for women might be similar to those for men, but there are some important differences. First, if you want to take a probiotic to treat something like a vaginal yeast infection, you can't do that as well with probiotics for men.
Men's and women's bodies are different, so you might need certain strains based on your gender. Of course, that doesn't mean that the best probiotic for women is suitable for all women.
Before you head to the store, know what you need or want in your next probiotic, so you can choose the right one for you.
Feel Your Best
Whether you're a health fanatic or just looking to feel better, you should learn as much as you can about what you put in your body. And that definitely extends to the best probiotic for women.
There are hundreds of probiotic strains, and each one can affect your system differently.
Because of this, we couldn't determine the single best probiotic for women. Instead, we found a few options. Some of the supplements focus on different things, so hopefully, we have your needs covered.
If you don't find the perfect probiotic, then we hope our list serves as a starting point for your search.
In any case, we started with expert recommendations. From there, we looked at the number of strains and cultures. We also considered any other features or benefits of the individual probiotics.
After that, we took a look at customer ratings on Amazon. Even if a product came recommended by the pros, we wanted to know that customers were happy, too.
Before we list off our picks for the best probiotic for women, we want to remind you we aren't doctors, and this isn't medical advice.
So, please, talk to your doctor. They know your medical history much better than we do, so your doctor can recommend probiotics based on your situation.
Finally, even the best probiotic for women isn't for everyone. Be sure to stop taking a probiotic if you have an adverse reaction.
The Best Probiotic for Women
Whether you're feeling as healthy as ever or you're struggling with some digestive issues, you may wonder what the best probiotic for women can do for you. As we mentioned, there's more than one best probiotic for women.
The best probiotic for you depends on your current health state, medical history, and health goals. A woman experiencing diarrhea should not take the same probiotic as a woman with constipation, for example.
But if you're still curious about probiotics and how to choose the best probiotic for women in your situation, you have some options.
Probiotic Pearls Women's Vaginal and Digestive Health
- A DAILY PROBIOTIC FOR WOMEN: Probiotic Pearls Women's contain 1 Billion cultures in a convenient, once-daily softgel...
- FORTIFY THE DIGESTIVE TRACT AND VAGINAL FLORA: Taking Probiotic Pearls Women's fortifies the digestive tract and vaginal...
- THE SMARTER PROBIOTIC: Probiotic Pearls Women's uses an advanced triple-layer softgel that protects probiotics from...
This first supplement is evidence that the best probiotic for women isn't necessarily the same as for men. The Probiotic Pearls Women's Vaginal and Digestive Health supplement is a daily probiotic.
It can support healthy vaginal flora as well as improve digestive regularity. This probiotic contains one billion cultures and includes multiple probiotic strains. The cultures come in a protective softgel that protects the probiotics from heat and other sources that can kill off the bacteria.
You don't have to refrigerate the softgels, and they don't contain gluten, sugar, salt, or artificial preservatives. All you have to do is take one softgel by mouth per day, and you don't have to take it with food.
LoveBug Probiotics Yeast is a Beast
- DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR WOMEN: Each of our tablets are packed with a proprietary probiotic blend of the five most...
- WHY WE’RE DIFFERENT: Our formulation of supplements has a proprietary blend of top probiotic strains, determined by...
- PRODUCT CONTAINS: (1) bottle, 30 tablets LoveBug Probiotics Yeast is a Beast, probiotic supplement for women’s health....
The LoveBug Probiotics Yeast is a Beast is another female-friendly supplement. This probiotic comes in delayed-release tablets, and it can support digestive and general women's health.
Because of the delayed-release, it delivers live bacteria farther through your intestines than others, so that might make it the best probiotic for women to order online. The probiotic contains strains that can treat urinary tract infections (UTIs) as well as yeast infections.
These tablets contain 10 billion cultures, including five popular strains of probiotics. They're sugar-free and don't contain any additives.
Culturelle Probiotics Women's Healthy Balance
- PROBIOTICS MADE JUST FOR WOMEN - Culturelle Women’s Healthy Balance contains five clinically proven strains, setting...
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE Culturelle Women’s Healthy Balance is powered by a unique blend of proven probiotics designed for a...
- FOR A WOMAN’S SPECIFIC NEEDS - A multi-strain probiotic blend for women that works naturally with your body to support...
Next, we have the Women's Healthy Balance supplement from Culturelle Probiotics. This probiotic has a unique blend of 15 billion cultures that are perfect for women.
They come in capsules, which makes it easy to take one each day. The secret blend of probiotic strains helps support your vaginal, digestive, and immune health.
Culturelle Probiotics recommends you take the capsules day after day to achieve the best results. What's more, they're even safe for pregnant women to consume.
RepHresh Pro-B Feminine Probiotic Supplement
The Pro-B Feminine Probiotic Supplement from RepHresh is yet another fantastic choice for many women. This supplement can balance bacteria and yeast to keep infections at bay.
RepHresh is a clinically tested brand, and gynecologists recommend them. Each capsule contains 5 billion bacteria, including clinically tested strains. This supplement doesn't contain dairy, eggs, soy, or gluten, among other allergens.
Flora Bloom Probiotics for Women
- PROMOTES HEALTHY DIGESTION – Proprietary blend of PRE and PRO biotics, Cranberry & D-Mannose works together to allow...
- IMPROVE VAGINAL HEALTH BY COMBINING NATURAL PRE AND PROBIOTICS – Regulates pH & controls vaginal flora to reduce...
- BOOSTS IMMUNITY WHICH MAY REDUCE RISK OF INFECTIONS – Unique formula of lactobacillus strains has CFU's scientifically...
Flora Bloom's Probiotics for Women is excellent for both vaginal health and digestive health. It may help with UTIs and restore balance to your vagina.
This supplement contains both probiotics and prebiotics, which are very helpful to take along with probiotics. The product can improve your overall digestive health as well as your immunity, and it comes in delayed release capsules.
One of the included strains can help prevent Group B Strep. It's also safe for pregnant women.
Vitamin Bounty Women's Pro-Daily
- TARGETED PROBIOTIC STRAINS - Women's Pro-Daily Probiotic is designed with specific probiotic strains & cranberry in...
- FORMULATED FOR WOMEN - Intended for the unique needs of women, our Women’s Pro-Daily Probiotic also delivers key...
- MAXIMUM EFFICACY - Women’s Pro-Daily Probiotic uses a delayed-release capsule that protects the organisms from stomach...
The Vitamin Bounty Women's Pro-Daily supplement is an excellent choice for all areas of women's health. It combines specific strains of probiotics with cranberry to support your vaginal health and digestive tract.
This supplement can also help improve your immune health and the health of your urinary tract. The capsules also include minerals and extracts as well as prebiotics, which can help when you take probiotics.
Each capsule contains 10 billion bacteria cultures and 5 strains of probiotics. You don't need to store the container in the refrigerator.
Zentastic Women's Prebiotic and Probiotic
- DAILY PROBIOTIC TAILORED FOR WOMEN: Zentastic Women's Probiotic is powered by 35 billion live cultures and features 10...
- SUPPORTS DIGESTION, SKIN, & BRAIN HEALTH: Healthy gut flora supports digestion by promoting nutrient absorption and...
- VAGINAL & IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT, HEALTHY MOOD & ENERGY: Probiotics help strengthen the immune system and can support the...
If you want a combination of probiotics and prebiotics, consider the Zentastic Women's Prebiotic and Probiotic supplement. The product contains 35 billion bacteria an includes 10 strains that commonly live in women.
Its formula contains prebiotics to help the bacteria flourish and restore balance in your gut. This supplement can support digestion, as well as skin and brain health. Like other probiotics, this one promotes vaginal health, and it can also improve the health of your urinary tract. The capsules are shelf-stable, which means you don't need to refrigerate them.
NatureWise Time Release Probiotics
- SUPERIOR SURVIVABILITY: It's not the CFU you start with that matters, it's the CFU you end up with! Over 95% of standard...
- FEMALE PROBIOTICS: Our probiotic for women includes 8 clinically researched strains with benefits for women’s health,...
- GUT HEALTH & IMMUNE SUPPORT: Our healthy women probiotics include prebiotics and probiotics to promote beneficial gut...
The NatureWise Time Release Probiotics contains six billion cultures but help more make it to your gut alive. Their time-release caplets are as effective as others with 90 billion cultures.
Each caplet contains eight strains of probiotics along with cranberry. The formula can help improve your urinary tract and vaginal health, and it can also improve digestive health.
This formula also includes prebiotics, which are helpful for making the most of probiotics. These caplets remain viable until the expiration date, and you don't need to store them in the refrigerator.
RenewLife Ultimate Flora Probiotic
- THE NUMBER 1 SELLING WOMEN'S PROBIOTIC**: Join thousands of women in discovering the number one selling probiotic for...
- HIGH-QUALITY GUARANTEE: Renew Life is rated the #1 probiotic brand in consumer satisfaction for 2018***, guaranteeing...
- DIGESTIVE HEALTH: With a blend of 10 specially selected strains to reflect the natural diversity of your gut, this...
The Ultimate Flora Probiotic from RenewLife is another great choice for many women. It's a daily supplement that can support your vaginal health as well as your immune and digestive health.
This supplement contains 25 billion active cultures and 10 probiotic strains. That mix of strains closely resembles what's in a healthy gut, so it can maintain that health or restore it if you have digestive issues.
The capsules are vegetarian and don't contain gluten, dairy, or soy.
Garden of Life Once Daily Women's
- DIGESTION SUPPORT: This once daily probiotic supplement contains Lactobaccilus acidophilus and Bifidobacteria for...
- PROBIOTICS FOR WOMEN: Specially formulated probiotic for women's specific health needs contains L. reuteri and L....
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: This dietary supplement has 50 billion CFU and 16 probiotics for immune system health
Our last pick is the Garden of Life Once Daily Women's probiotic. The supplement contains 50 billion cultures and 16 probiotic strains.
It can help with everything from women's health to digestive health to constipation relief. The product comes in capsules, and you can take it every day.
These capsules are vegetarian and free of dairy, gluten, and soy. We like that the probiotic helps with stomach issues. However, others don't like that the container is one that is known for toxicity, as well as some reporting a strong chemical smell. The manufacturer states that smell is due to a unique desiccant liner that protects the pills from the plastic and keeps them dry.
Your Best Self
We all want to be our best selves and to live the best life possible. Unfortunately, many of us suffer from health issues at some point or another. Luckily, we do have treatments for many conditions.
If you have digestive issues, recurring UTIs, or similar problems, consider the best probiotic for women. Now, you'll want to do some research. Not all probiotics are the same.
You want to find the best probiotic for women with your problem so that you can combat the specific issue. And don't hesitate to work with your doctor because they'll be able to give you tailored advice.
Do you take a probiotic? Did it make our list? Leave your thoughts in the comments!
Featured Image Source: Unsplash.com