Shampoos for men are designed to clean men’s hair in a way that not restores a man’s swagger using purely masculine scents but often times also address some of the problems that men’s scalps tend to face such as dandruff. A good shampoo will not only clean hair but will also uplift the male spirit and help him start his day right. Which just so happens to be a necessity for most of us in this hectic, stressful and competitive modern society.
Unfortunately, some of the shampoos marketed to males are simply women shampoos which have been given a different package so that it appeals to men. Despite that fact, there are some really good male shampoos available. Which is why we’ve decided to investigate the matter and find ten of the best men shampoos which are currently available.
Best Shampoos For Men – Top List
10Every Man Jack 2-in-1 Thickening Shampoo
This 2-in-1 men’s shampoo is both a shampoo and condition and comes with a 13.5-ounce bottle size. It’s manufactured without parabens, phthalates, dyes and sodium lauryl sulfate, and is considered to be a Vegan shampoo. It has a special thickening formula that’s ideal for men with thinning or very fine hair. Manufactured using surfactants derived from coconut products and shea butter, it not only cleans well but also leaves hair soft. This cruelty-free product has a pleasant tea tree scent and is suitable for daily use. This makes it a perfect shampoo for the environmentally conscious man looking for an all natural product.
9K + S Salon Shampoo & Conditioner Set
This K+ S shampoo and conditioner set contains quality products which help men get their hair as clean and soft as possible. The shampoo in this set is made using tea tree oil that helps to not only eliminate dandruff but also help with dry scalp and Psoriasis as well. The conditioner is made with peppermint oil and essential vitamins which helps to keep the user’s head soft and manageable. This shampoo and conditioner set is designed to restore balance to the user’s head and to leave them feeling fresh and invigorated. This makes it a set suitable for just about any man.
8Brickell Men’s Daily Shampoo
This 8-ounce bottle of shampoo is a hair product that’s made with a variety of natural and/or certified organic products. It contains ingredients such as tea tree oil, peppermint, aloe vera, and silk amino acids. It also contains a number of vitamins including Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E. While this product is designed to be used by men with thin or damaged hair, it can be used by just about anyone and is considered safe for damaged or color-treated hair. It’s also safe for daily use and will leave the user’s hair not only clean but also leave it with a fresh scent. It’s a product that has appeared in a number of men’s magazine and continues to be a popular product.
7Head and Shoulders Old Spice 2-in-1
This 2-in-1 anti-dandruff shampoo not only cleans men’s hair and helps to reduce dandruff, but also leaves it with a fresh Old Spice scent. This product is the number one brand recommended by dermatologist for dandruff. It’s designed to leave the user’s head 100% flake free and is gentle enough to be used on a day-to-day basis. It can also be used on all different types of hair, even color-treated or otherwise damaged hair. This PH-balanced formula won’t ever over-strip the user’s hair and will always leave it looking the best that it can look. And since the conditioner is built-in, men can get their hair washed and be out the door quickly.
6Clear Men’s Scalp & Hair Shampoo
Although this shampoo is designed to be used by men with dry hair, it can be used by just about anyone. This 12.9-ounce bottle contains shampoo that will impart deep clean hydration to the user’s hair and is infused with a blend of nutrients and active botanical ingredients. This product contains Ginseng, natural mint, tea tree oil and a variety of nutrients to help restore the natural moisture balance of the user’s scalp. And because it’s formulated to be gentle, it can be used on a daily basis. This shampoo is good for anyone dealing with seborrheic dermatitis or dandruff.
5Dove Men+Care 2-in-1 Shampoo
Available in one of three different sizes, Dove Men+Care is a product that provides the cleaning power of shampoo with the convenience of conditioner. This shampoo contains caffeine, which helps to strengthen hair and invigorate the scalp, and also contains Pyrithione Zinc for dandruff control. It comes in a 12-ounce bottle which gives the user enough shampoo to use it on a daily basis. And if it is used on a daily basis, it’s gentle enough that it won’t dull hair or leave it greasy. And best of all, it leaves men’s hair with a very pleasant scent. It also leaves hair clean and shiny as well.
4Botanic Hearth Activated Charcoal Shampoo
This shampoo is sulfate-free, paraben-free and is designed to thoroughly clean hair but do it in a way that makes it gentle enough for daily use. It’s proudly made in the U.S and can be used by not only men but also women as well. It contains a variety of natural ingredients which enhance its cleaning ability and allows it to eliminate impurities from the user’s scalp and hair. Some of the ingredients which can be found in this shampoo include Argan oil, JoJoba oil, organic castor oil, avocado oil and activated charcoal. While it’s not considered to be an all-natural product, it is blended with some natural ingredients.
3Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2-In-1
This product is not only safe for color-treated hair but contains a number of ingredients which makes it helpful in combating dandruff, Seborrheic Dermatitis, and Psoriasis. It contains 1% Pyrithione Zinc, which relieves itching and flaking, and coal tar which helps to eliminate Psoriasis. It also contains Salicylic Acid, which is helpful for removing scalp buildup. All of these ingredients combine to make this shampoo one of the fastest acting dandruff shampoos currently available. And as it clears up these scalp conditions, it also leaves hair very manageable and soft.
2Suave Professionals Ocean Charge
Suave Professionals 2-in-1 shampoo helps men to clean and condition their hair all in one step. It produces a light lather that cleans extremely well and rinses off cleanly. It’s gentle enough for daily use and won’t leave a buildup that can weigh hair down. This product is Salon proven to clean men’s hair well and has a scent which is very masculine. Enriched with panthenol and a variety of moisturizers, this product conditions the user’s hair and leaves it looking healthy. Which is probably why so many men turn to this hair product when they’re looking for a daily shampoo.
1Clubman Country Club Shampoo (2-Pack)
Enriched with Panthenol, this product is a hair thickening shampoo which is ideal for men with thinning hair. This product is PH balanced, so it’s safe for daily use and contains Polypeptides for thick hair. It leaves the user’s hair with a clean fresh scent and isn’t heavy like some shampoos. It also does a marvelous job at preventing hair from becoming frizzy. This product can also be used on beards or other facial hair as well. This shampoo leaves the user’s hair shiny and conditioned. And since it’s manufactured using only high-quality ingredients, men can rest assured that this product will do a great job on their hair.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
A Guide To Buying Shampoo For Men
Contrary to common belief and what many so-called “experts” say, there are men’s shampoos which aren’t just repackaged women’s shampoo. Sure, some brands have tried to cash in on the male products market by just changing the label and the scent of male shampoo, but most men can spot these rather quickly.
No, there are some brands that are designed to address particular male hair and scalp problems and also leave their hair with a distinctly masculine scent. All a person needs to do is to keep a few basics in mind and then choose a product that suits them specifically. Keeping that in mind, we’re going to go over some of the more common men shampoos and discuss their intended use and how they work. We’re also going to cover some nice to know shampooing tips. So let’s get right down to it and talk a little bit about male shampoo.
The first thing men should do before buying shampoo is to determine their particular hair type. Men are different from each other and as a result, have different types of hair. Some men may have thick hair, and other men may have thin hair. Some men may have dandruff problems, while other men may not. Which means that some shampoos are better for some men than other types of shampoos. Below are some of the more common hair types and conditions and the products that work the best for them.
Choose According To Hair Type
- Curly Hair – If a man has curly hair, then he is going to want to purchase shampoo with a curl-enhancing component. That’s because these shampoos can make men’s curly hair easier to style and can also prevent unwanted frizz from developing.
- Straight or Frizzy Hair – A smoothing shampoo leaves a light barrier that keeps hair from absorbing too much moisture and becoming frizzy. Therefore, it’s good for men with either straight or frizzy hair.
- Thinning Hair – A man who may be dealing with thinning hair will definitely want to get a thickening shampoo. While this is only a temporary solution, it does increase hair strand size temporarily. And that can often disguise the signs of thinning hair.
- Fine Hair – Men with fine hair should look to buy shampoo with a volumizer in it. This will help prevent their hair from becoming too flat.
- Delicate Hair – If a man has delicate hair, then he’s probably going to want to choose a sulfate-free shampoo. These aren’t as hard as hair as other types of shampoos.
Choose According To Condition
- Dandruff – Men who have dandruff can choose from among many dandruff and anti-flaking shampoos which currently exist. Some of these shampoos use zinc pyrithione to kill the yeast that can cause dandruff; others use salicylic acid to exfoliate flakes, and still, others use both products for a balanced approach.
- Dry Hair And Scalp – Men who are experiencing dry hair and/or scalp will want to choose a shampoo that contains a hydrating component. These shampoos leave behind trace particles of moisturizer on the hair and prevent the hair and scalp from drying out.
- Oily Scalp And Hair – Oily scalp and hair require shampoo that can clarify. This basically means shampoo which can remove excess oil from the scalp and hair.
- Product Build-Up – Some styling gels can leave a build-up on men’s hair. To combat this problem, men with normal hair should use a clarifying shampoo on a weekly basis. If the man has dry hair, however, they may only want to use a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month to remove product buildup.
Men’s Shampoo Scents
Shampoos for men come in a variety of different scents, and a man should choose a scent based on his own personal preferences and little else. Keeping that in mind, we’ve decided to list some of the more common shampoo scents currently available and the images these scents conjure up when other people smell them.
- Ocean Scents – This smell is clean, fresh and invigorating. It also imparts somewhat of a relaxing vibe to the person wearing it.
- Soap Scents – These scents are clean and uplifting and remind the people smelling it of fresh linen. They are also one of the scents that members of the opposite sex really enjoy.
- Citrus Scents – These scents include lemongrass and lemon, lime or orange scents. They have a clean smell to them and are very uplifting.
- Earth Scents – Scents which are considered Earthy include rosewood and sandalwood. These scents are often described as being masculine and are often enjoyed highly by women.
- Musk – Some shampoos have a musk scent that is often described as sensual. This highly masculine scent is sometimes enjoyed by the opposite sex, but men should be careful when pairing musk shampoos with musk colognes. This can create a scent that’s too powerful and may actually be off-putting.
Properly Using Shampoo
Buying the right kind of male shampoo is only the first step in the process. Once the correct shampoo has been bought, men still have to use the product correctly to get the most out of their shampoo. That’s why we’ve included the following steps for proper shampoo use. After all, buying the best shampoo in the world won’t do the user any good if they don’t use it correctly.
- Step One – Rinse the Head The first step is to make sure that the scalp and hair are completely wet. This means standing underneath the shower for at least a minute or pouring 5 or 6 healthy-size cups of water over your head.
- Step Two – Apply Shampoo & Scrub Next, apply a large dot of shampoo to your palm and work it into your hair. Make sure that the scalp is thoroughly scrubbed with the fingertips – kind of like a hair massage.
- Step Three – Wait A Minute Once the head scrubbing part of the shampooing is completed, take a full minute to just leave the shampoo on your hair. Let the shampoo dissolve the dirt on your hair for about 60-seconds.
- Step Four – Rinse! Now the hair can be rinsed, and that means completely rinsed. It’s important to get every ounce of shampoo out of your hair, so it doesn’t create a film. This film can make the hair dull and heavy, so be sure that the hair is properly rinsed before getting out of the shower or bath.