While it may not seem that buying a toilet bowl cleaner should demand too much effort on your part, the vast multitude of sub-par cleaners says otherwise. Even though there might be a wide range of cleaning solutions and formulas one can employ, the selection is clearly affected by their composition, effectiveness, and ease of use. It is for this reason that you might want to take the extra steps to ensure that you’re getting the top-shelf quality you require. To give you some pointers in that regard, we put together a list of the ten best toilet bowl cleaners the market has to offer right now along with a few tips on how to make sure that whatever cleaner you choose is up to par.
Best Toilet Bowl Cleaners Of 2019
10Scrubbing Bubbles Fresh Gel Toilet Cleaning Stamp
This ingenious cleaner is designed to freshen and clean a toilet bowl every time you flush the toilet. For that purpose, it employs a special gel that adheres to the toilet bowl just below the rim to ensure that it gets full contact with the water being flushed. Interestingly enough, each toilet cleaning gel stamp also acts by continuously freshening up with every flush for up to 12 days each, which is quite a practical method overall. Then again, this is precisely the type of cleaner you want to employ on a regular basis.
9Safety Foam Toilet Bowl Cleaner
With just a single container of this ingenious toilet bowl cleaner, you get the capacity to not just cleanse but freshen your toilet bowl as well. It does so thanks to the active elements in its composition which allow it to fully clean and deodorize the bowl in just a couple of minutes. Interestingly enough, this cleaner also dissolves hard water rings, which many people find particularly difficult to remove by using regular cleaning solutions. It is also why foam bowl cleaners enjoy such a rise in popularity these days.
8Seventh Generation Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Formulated with a natural and non-toxic composition, this toilet bowl cleaner is perfect for harsh, persistent stains. This formula is entirely biodegradable and scented with essential oils along with all-natural botanical extracts. At the same time, it uses Emerald Cypress and Fir elements to avoid the creation of any harsh and potentially dangerous fumes. As such, this product is septic safe and cruelty-free in every way. This is definitely something that people look for more and more these days, especially among cleaning solutions of any kind.
7Clorox Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner Spray
Quite simplistic in its branding and fairly straightforward, Clorox’s Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner Spray can be expected to make short work of any stain. This bathroom cleaner can be sprayed with relative ease on any surface that needs cleaning with virtually no limitations to speak of. This makes it equally effective for cleaning the inside of your toilet bowl as cleaning the outside of it or the floors inside your bathroom. It is also why it holds such a privileged position among versatile cleaning solutions, the type of cleaner that you can employ for various cleaning tasks other than what it’s mainly designed to do.
6Lysol Click Gel Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
You can use Lysol Click Gel to keep your toilet clean and fresh with every single flush. Discrete and easy to use, this gel comes in single-use, self-sticking packages that you can deploy without any issues whatsoever. Furthermore, the sanitary application with a disposable cartridge makes the gel very easy to store. Also worth mentioning is that you get up to a whole month supply with each purchase, which should be more than enough for anyone regardless of how many people live in your household.
5Lysol No Mess Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Similar to the gel we just talked about in many ways, this toilet bowl cleaner from Lyson also stands out for its ease of use. We say that because you get 8 efficient blocks with each purchase, which is more than sufficient for any household. These blocks are designed to freshen and clean any toilet bowl while providing strong antimicrobial protection standards at the same time. At the same time, they are designed to resist odor-causing bacteria and to withstand any type of water regardless of pH levels.
4Lime-A-Way Liquid Toilet Bowl Cleaner
You can employ this particular cleaner to not only freshen up your toilet bowl but to also destroy lime, calcium, and rust in a timely fashion. Due to its efficient, thick gel formula, it coats and covers the bowl, remaining in contact with tough mineral stains for longer than pretty much any other cleaner. As it does so, it removes even the toughest stains in just a matter of seconds while dissolving rust, calcium, and lime stains well below the waterline.
3Fluidmaster 8100 Toilet Bowl Cleaning System
This liquid toilet bowl cleaner can be used to clean your toilet with maximum efficiency each time you flush. It comes in the shape of a fairly complex system that eliminates the hassle of having to do any type of cleaning by hand. Easy to install and even easier to store, this cleaning system delivers a scrub-free and hands-free cleaning without damaging any toilet parts in the process. As such, it works to replace outdated cleaning tablets and liquids, which is great considering that it is 100% environmentally friendly.
2Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
With this simplistic yet highly effective toilet bowl cleaning pack from Clorox, you get to clean and sanitize your toilet bowl by killing up to 99.9% of household bacteria that usually rests on the walls of your toilet bowl. Because it comes in the shape of convenient tablets, you get a hassle-free solution for all your toilet cleaning needs, each tablet being more than able to sanitize the water inside a toilet bowl in just 5 minutes for up to 2 months. At the same time, these tablets work to not only cleanse but to deodorize your bathroom with a fairly fresh and pleasant scent.
1Lysol Power & Fresh Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Few toilet cleaners can rival Lysol’s Power & Fresh Toilet Bowl Cleaner, an ocean-fresh formula that destroys toilet bowl rings and kills all bacteria that may rest inside your toilet bowl. Thanks to its angled bottle design, it can be used to target hard-to-reach areas, disinfecting up to 99.9% of all viruses and bacteria without posing any health risks for yourself or your family. Also worth mentioning is the fact that it not only powers through the toughest toilet stains in just a few seconds but that it does so while leaving a pleasantly fresh scent behind when it’s done. Overall, it is perhaps one of the best toilet bowl cleaners the market has to offer right now.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Without knowing too much about toilet bowl cleaners, you might be inclined to presume that they all share similar formulas and that they mostly operate according to the same principles. In fact, these cleaning solutions may differ quite a lot from one another not just in terms of their comprising chemicals but also in regards to their general effectiveness. You will find that price doesn’t always dictate the quality you can expect and that you might need to do a fair bit of research to ensure that you’re getting the desired quality. To save you the trouble, we should perhaps take the time to first understand what makes a good toilet bowl cleaner to begin with.
The first thing you need to consider is how the formula works and what expectations to have from it. You may not know it but different delivery systems yield different results, varying to barely adequate to highly effective. For instance, sprays are a lot quicker than angled squirt bottles but they rarely provide the same coverage. On a related note, soluble packs and gels can also be expected to outperform sprays or handheld cleaners.
- Squirt Bottle Cleaners – As the name suggests, a squirt bottle has to be used manually to squirt the cleaning agent onto the bowl. After that, you are expected to manually clean the toilet bowl if you wish, or to leave it ‘as is’ and allow its comprising chemicals to work their magic. For that purpose, many of these cleaners pack grime-dissolving agents that also work reasonably well on bowl stains of any kind.
- Spray Cleaners – Similar to squirt bottles, spray cleaners have to be delivered by hand and require that you employ some form of manual cleaning to maximize their effectiveness. Those of you who may be a bit squeamish are advised to avoid sprays and squirt delivery systems, not unless you plan on using them without pairing them with any manual labor. As we said, you can very well spray a cleaning solution on the bowl and simply wait for it to work its magic without any manual input of your own.
- Tablet Cleaners – It use to be that tablets were the most common bowl cleaners on the market, and they still are to some extent. Also referred to as ‘leave-in tank tablets’, these automatic cleaning systems offer up to 100% bowl coverage because the cleaning solution is expected to flow with the flush water each time you flush. The only real downside when it comes to tablets is that they are known to contain potentially hazardous chemicals that may end up damaging the flush valve and rubber components over time.
- Gel Cleaners – Most gel and hanger cleaners act in a similar fashion to tablet cleaners, in the sense that they go with the water flow as they cleanse the bowl. Now, for the most part, these cleaners should be used more for hygiene purposes rather than to perform any deep cleaning of any kind. We say that because even the best gel cleaners have difficulties with deeply ingrained stains without any additional scrubbing on your part.
You also want to take a few minutes and consider whether you want a more eco-friendly cleaning solution or whether you’re simply looking for efficiency at all costs. The reason we say that is because the most efficient cleaners out there comprise of bleach, chlorine, and ammonia-containing mixtures, which aren’t exactly environmentally friendly. In this respect, you will have to do a lot more scrubbing if you use an eco-friendly cleaner, albeit with the knowledge that you aren’t employing any potentially hazardous chemicals.
Type Of Cleaners
It isn’t just the delivery system that differs from one cleaner to another but the way they act as well. While some cleaners provide a deep-cleaning formula for dealing with difficult stains, others focus more on hygiene and maintenance. At the same time, some cleaners are primarily focused on removing stains and rust deposits from your toilet, with very little concern for maintenance issues.
- Deep Cleaning Solutions – Mostly comprised of powerful chemicals like chlorine and bleach, deep cleaners are mainly employed to cleanse the toilet bowl as efficiently as possible. Regardless of the delivery system, deep cleaners work by focusing their strong formula on any impurities they encounter across the bowl. Now, bear in mind that deep cleaning solutions often result in toxic releases and that they can be quite hazardous for children or pets.
- Hygiene & Maintenance Cleaners – As the name suggests, these 2-in-1 cleaners are formulated to meet certain hygiene and maintenance standards. When using them, you have to remember that they aren’t exactly designed to remove any difficult stains and that they sometimes work more as odorizers. It comes as no surprise that most of these cleaners are tablet and gel-based when it comes to their delivery method.
- Stain Removing Cleaners – These are perhaps the most toxic of the lot, cleaners that mainly work to remove difficult stains from the toilet bowl. Similar to deep cleaning solutions, these cleaners often cause toxic releases and can pose a series of health concerns for members of your household. Often enough, stain removing cleaners are available in tandem with deep cleaning solution in what we call ‘2-in-1’ or ‘all-in-one’ cleaners.