In recent years, face masks can not only be found in spas but can also be used at home to create a relaxing home spa experience. It can be difficult deciding which is the best face mask to use. To help demystify the wide variety of face masks available, we have reviewed several of the best face masks so you can decide which product is the best face mask for you!
1. What Is a Face Mask?
A face mask is a beauty product that provides different benefits depending on what the purpose of the face mask is. A face mask can be tea based, made of clay, or have special enzymes. There are face masks that combine herbs and plants and are considered vegan or organic. There are others that use a variety of natural soothers like aloe to reduce the effects of acidic ingredients.
2. What Does a Face Mask Do?
All face masks are different. Some reduce the size of pores and eliminate acne while other face masks are meant to tighten the skin or provide a healthier-looking complexion. There are also face masks that work on only a portion of the skin such as the nose and chin that are prone to blackheads or the T-zone that can be oily, dry, or a combination.
3. How Do Face Masks Work?
How a face mask works depend on the active ingredients of the face mask and what the intended purpose is. Some face masks work by being absorbed into the skin, while others such as a clay mask, dry on the skin to tighten and remove impurities.
4. Where Can You Buy a Face Mask?
Face masks can be purchased from spas, drugstores, or online.
5. What Is the Best Face Mask?
The best face mask is really a personal choice. What works well for someone might not work as well for someone else. What is the best face mask is very much dependent on what the desired result is and how much you are willing to pay for that result.
How We Reviewed
To help you reach an informed decision, we researched a variety of what could be considered the best face mask. To remain impartial and unbiased, we explored face masks made of different substances. The best face masks were not reviewed in any particular order, and more than 12 face masks were researched. We also looked at how long the product would last with use. Some products lasted longer, like the charcoal peel masks, because typically the areas being treated were kept small such as the nose and chin.
What We Reviewed
- Minimizes the appearance of pores for a soft, smooth and radiant complexion^Papaya and pineapple enzymes gently loosen...
This face mask is the type you rub into your skin, let it sit, and then rinse off. The key feature of this face mask is that it is made from fruit enzymes that include aloe vera and papaya. The mask has a pleasant pineapple smell.
- This is good for sensitive skin
- Long-lasting softness
- Fades darkened blemishes, both age spots, and acne blemishes
- Can cause redness depending on skin sensitivity
- Have to exfoliate before using
- Can sting on open acne and increase cystic acne
Key Features of this product include a softening of the skin and is beneficial to users who have dry or sensitive skin. The mud does come pre-mixed and is from a space in France.
- Has a cooling effect
- Leaves skin refreshed and hydrated
- Very similar to what is used at a spa
- Does have paraben which is an ingredient that is not used overseas
- Can only get sponge applicator with the larger size
- Have to apply a thick layer meaning the product does not last long
The highlight of this mask is the combination of cucumber, rosewater, and actual rose petals! This formula provides a soothing and hydrating effect that can be used with all skin types.
- Gentle enough for everyday use
- No overpowering smell
- Not very effective during drying months like winter
- Can cause itchiness
- Does not seem to work as well on oily skin
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay is a deep pore cleansing facial, hair and body mask
- Great for facials, body wraps, clay baths, foot soaks, chilled clay knee packs, insect bites and more
- 100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay for external use only; Product does not come with an inner seal
Key Features of this product include purifying of the skin and well as relieving acne. This powdered clay mask is one of the few labeled as organic.
- Has multiple uses and can be used on other skin areas
- All natural
- Can be used on normal skin and delicate skin
- Instead of using as a mask, can be used on individual spots
- Does not come pre-mixed
- Can worsen acne for those with cystic acne
- Possible increased dryness
- Cool and deeply cleanse your skin with our tea tree skin clearing clay face mask
- Perfect for blemish prone skin, the instantly cooling sensation refreshes skin, without over drying
- This mask will help to clear impurities while absorbing excess oil leaving skin feeling smoother and clearer looking
The benefits of this tea tree based product include removing oil from the skin and reducing the appearance of acne. The mask reduces the look of blemishes by removing impurities from the skin.
- Product is vegan
- Evens out skin tone
- Soothes and cools the skin
- Too expensive for everyday use
- There is an unpleasant odor
- Does not work well on sensitive or oily skin
Key Features of this product include a tool that comes with the mask to help remove problematic areas, like blackheads, after using the mask. There is also the added benefit of being infused with collagen for toned and smoother skin.
- Tightens pores and removes blackheads
- There is no offensive odor
- Leaves skin smooth
- Often removes small unwanted facial hair
- This can be difficult to remove with either slight pain, or needing to rinse additional time to remove the product
- There are multiple steps in using this product so it might take more time than other masks
- Can cause redness and bumps depending on skin sensitivity
- Revitalizes, comforts, and provides intense hydration.
- Replenishes dehydrated skin, leaving it refreshed and cool.
- Your skin is immediately and exceptionally immersed in moisturization, resulting in a visibly radiant and crystal clear...
This face mask is one of the easier ones to use because it is actually a paper-like mask that is soaked in the beauty solution. All you need to do is cleanse your face and put the mask on for 5-20 minutes. You can massage the serum remaining on your skin in for added moisture.
- Very easy to use
- There are 10 masks per box
- The effects of the serum are long lasting
- There is an excess serum that can be retained for future use
- Are not cost-effective if you want to use multiple time per week
- There is a lot of excess serum on the masks and can take a while for the skin to absorb it all
- May not see desired results based on skin tone
This face mask offers a variety of solutions to common skin ailments. This is a peel-off type of mask that tones the skin, removes blackheads, and also improves blood circulation.
- Removes facial hair and removes oil
- Has a three-year shelf life
- Good for removing blackheads
- This is another face mask that has multiple (4) steps
- Requires you to finish with another product
- Can be painful to remove depending on the sensitivity of your skin
- Can cause stains on items the undried mask comes in contact with
- REPLENISH DEHYDRATED SENSITIVE SKIN--Deep hydration for dry to very dry skin. Includes rich antioxidants such as...
- Paula's Choice--SKIN RECOVERY Hydrating Treatment Mask pairs some of the richest emollients with plant- and...
- This ultra-rich mask can be used as often as needed to rejuvenate the look of dull dehydrated skin either as a 20-30...
Key Features of this product include multiple vitamins and a variety of fruit and seed oils. This mask also claims to reduce the signs of dryness and redness that often accompanies eczema or rosacea.
- A beauty treatment geared towards inflamed and sensitive skin
- Has antioxidants
- Can be used as a rinse away mask or as an overnight mask
- For best use, a secondary product needs to be purchased to clean skin before use
- Can cause irritation
- There can be reduced effectiveness after prolonged use
- If worn as an overnight mask, might stain pillowcase
- A thick layer needs to be applied thereby shortening the number of uses
- A healing and nourishing mask
- Formulated with Stone Crop to improve skin's tone through hydration
- Blended with an antioxidant Lemon, enriched with Vitamin C
This mud mask offers a variety of benefits from reducing acne to toning skin and is useable on the entire body. The mud treatment detoxifies the skin using a blend of minerals and spices such as cinnamon and paprika.
- Can be used on the face and body to resolve a variety of skin issues
- Usable as a spot treatment versus a full face mask
- Has a pleasant scent
- Depending on skin sensitivity, there can be a burning sensation
- Does not come pre-mixed
- You need to wash your face more than once to remove the product and cool your skin
After researching and reviewing what we felt could be considered the best face mask, we have varying opinions. We agree that for both professionals and at-home users the easiest one to use is the SK-II Facial Treatment Mask. This mask is easy to put on and provides professional results. It is also nice that there are 10 masks in a box. There were reviews that mentioned the amount of extra serum, but some suggested just saving the excess in the package to apply later. This is a great idea to extend the number of uses you get!
The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Clay Face Mask is one we would be most likely to pay for if offered in a spa primarily because of the price. We also did not like the idea of having to mix product to the right consistency. If there can only be one best face mask from this list, we would choose the SK-II Facial Treatment Mask for overall ease of use, affordability, and benefits provided.